About Dr Peter Yau
Presentations & Publications
Contact PSY Pty Ltd
Phone: 0419 559 658
Dr Peter Yau has been contracted with the MTR Corporation of Hong Kong since 2008 as their Independent Tree Specialist Consultant in several key new mass transit line extension projects: West Island Line (WIL), South Island Line (SIL), Shatin Central Line (SCL), Express Rail Link (XRL) and Kwun Tong Extension (KTE).
Dr Yau is one of nine tree experts recently appointed by the Hong Kong Government Secretary for Development as a Member of the Expert Panel of the newly established Greening, Landscape & Tree Management Office in Hong Kong. This appointment is for two years, starting on 1st March 2011.
Transplanting 200-Tonne Ficus microcarpa in Hong Kong MTRC SCL Project - Dec 2013
It was accomplished with the MTRC and the Contractor Sembawang-Leader Joint Venture.
In 2008 and 2009 Dr Peter Yau and Tony Langdon were engaged by OzMinerals mining corporation to go twice to their Laos Sepan Gold/Copper Mine to renew and re-establish the plant nursery in the mining camp in Sepon, and to train the local nursery staff in modern nursery techniques and nursery management practices. He also completed an audit of their Standing Operational Procedure in Nursery Practice.
Dr Yau is currently engaged on contract as arboriculture consultant to the Hong Kong KCRC (Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation),
and is registered in the Foreign Expert Bureau of the People's
Republic of China.
Since 2000, Dr Yau has cooperated with provincial government agriculture bureaus in Henan and
Chongqing, to set up tree nursery enterprises for China's soil-water conservation afforestation
programs for the Yangtze River and Yellow River.
The following list of projects represent examples of the work that Dr Yau has undertaken in the
field of Arboriculture.
- Preparation and publication of Melbourne Boulevards Management Plan 1994
- Participation in preparation, public consultation and review, and production of Master Plan for Fitzroy Gardens 1993-94
- Training and Education: Lecturer and Examiner - ILFR The University of Melbourne.
- Training and Education: Conducted 5 Arboricultural Training Courses for Hong Kong Urban Council & LCSD Training School with Burnley College Melbourne University in 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002.
Arboricultural Training Course, 1998
- Training and Education: Conducted Arboricultural Training Courses for SECV and PTC staff in tree pruning practice and arboricultural safety.
- Tree Assessments (health condition, hazard rating, amenity value evaluation) Consultations and Advice to Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne Zoo, Urban & Regional Land Corporation, VUT Sunbury, Monash University, VicRoads, Local Councils and Property Development Consultants.
- Consultation on the use of Tree Growth Regulator to Brisbane City Council Queensland 1993
- Representing municipal councils and private clients in court hearings and VCAT appeals as expert witness and arboricultural expert regarding tree protection & preservation, property damage, personal injury and other tree-related litigation
- Tree root identification, root barrier design and installation for private and public sector clients.
- External Auditing of Arboriculture Contractor Performance on behalf of City of Melbourne Parks & Recreation Group Manager 1997 (1 Audit)
- External Auditing of Contract Performance on powerline clearance of vegetation on behalf of Powercor Australia Limited. 1996 (6 Audits)
- External Auditing of Compliance with Code of Practice on powerline vegetation management on behalf of the Chief Electrical Inspector 1998 (15 Audits)
- Project Manager, Tree Assessment and Grounds Maintenance for the Office of the Governor, Government House Victoria 1998
- Consultant to Electricity Industry Ombudsman on mediation and arbitration of tree disputes.
- Transplanting mature trees for the Office of Major Projects, Victoria Government on the Museum of Victoria at Carlton Project 1995-96
- Tree Preservation and Protection Consultation and Advice to Denton Corker Marshall on the Museum of Victoria at Carlton Gardens 1995-96
- Landscape and Arboricultural Consultant to Karres & Brands (Dutch Architects Firm winning the Federation Square Project Design Competition) and Paterson-Pettus (Local Landscape Architect Firm) on tree selection and propagation for the Melbourne Federation Square project 1998
- Consultant to Paterson-Pettus (Landscape Architects) on University Square development for Melbourne University Private Campus
- Site rehabilitation of Narre Warren Waste Tip - Consultation in conjunction with Dr David Beardsell of Daratech DNRE - to Woodward Clyde Pty Ltd, City of Casey and EPA 1996
- Tree assessment and consultation to VicRoads and John Holland Construction Company on Boronia Railway Station Redevelopment Project 1998
- Elm trees heritage study for City of Hobsons Bay (Williamstown precinct) in partnership with John Patrick & Associates. 1998
- Preparation of Vegetation Management Plan for Shire of Nillumbik for submission to the Office of Chief Electrical Inspector under Code of Practice 1997
- Preparation of Elm Boulevard Management Plan for City of Yarra and PTC - John Holland Construction for reconstruction of tram track, Victoria Parade, East Melbourne Dec 97 - Jan 98
- Consultant to Transfield-Obayashi Joint Venture City Link Project on tree protection and preservation 1996-97
- Arboricultural Consultant to KCRC HK from 2002-2008
- Established trial demonstration plantings of eucalypts in China since 2000 in the Cities of Chongqing, Nanjing, Wuhan, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province and Henan Province